DIY Radiator fan shroud for 12'' slim fans... - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2009, 11:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
eating Sushi, car gets totaled

Rep Power: 33 4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Default DIY Radiator fan shroud for 12'' slim fans...

well, i have been running a Perma Cool 12'' slim fan for a long time now, i decided last night to make a new shroud for it, one that pulls air over the entire radiator and not just the center of it...

this will require a lil bit of skill, but not too much

ITEM'S NEEDED:
1) old OEM radiator fan assembly
1) 12'' slim fan (other brands may work as well)
2 or 3) 3'' zippie ties
4) 8mm bolt's (hopfully you have the ones from the fan)
6 to 10) 3/16'' rivets meant for plastic

TOOL'S NEEDED
(preferred rather):
1) 10mm wrench or socket
1) flat head screw driver
1) hand saw of some sort
1) die grinder
1) angle grinder
1) catch can of some sort that will fit under your car
1) wire strippers
1) soldering gun/station (wire crimper's)
2)
appropriate size shrink tubing (crimp connectors will work)
4) vise grip pliers
1) rivet gun
1) 12 volt source (i has a 12 volt converter)

TIME TO GET STARTED
place the OEM fan assembly on a work bench of some sort...

with your hand saw, cut the finger's off, holding the fan to the shroud...

this is what you will have left over...

cut off the wire connector from the fan...

now take a few minutes with your angle grinder and smooth down all of these lil raised portions, this will allow the slim fan to sit inside the OEM shroud...

its kinda hard to see but both sides, all the way around, has been smoothed down...

R.I.P. my mom - I miss you 10/3/1945-6/16/2007

R.I.P. - MiloReaper & Pat Primmer

96' CE1 Lx - Wags
03' TL type S - Currently broken

is your friend, try it

[img][/img]
[youtube ][ /youtube]

Last edited by 4Door; 08-14-2009 at 12:43 AM. Reason: title change
4Door is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2009, 11:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Rep Power: 33 4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

MOVING ON TO THE SLIM FAN

to prepare the slim fan, simply do the same as the shroud...
smooth down ALL of the raised portions on the out side diameter... these will not be needed as it will be held in place with rivet's...

better view of the tab's/raised portion's

after smoothing

test fitting:

fits like a glove

now use your vise grip's to hold the slim fan in the shroud, this is so it wont bind up when your riveting the slim fan to the shroud

96' CE1 Lx - Wags

is your friend, try it

[img][/img]
[youtube ][ /youtube]

Old 08-13-2009, 11:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

time to attach the slim fan to the shroud

you can place the rivets how ever you feel comfortable with... i personally like to to use four at first, two apart from each other (basically, one on top, bottom and each side)

before doing the wiring, i like to check the direction of the air...
because of how the slim fan sits inside the shroud YOU HAVE TO REVERSE THE WIRES...
meaning, red +, needs to hook to the negative side on the vehicles wire plug... if you hook it up red to blue black to black the fan will push the air instead of pulling the air threw the radiator... VERY IMPORTANT

time for the wiring

i just cut the factory wire down to size and re-used it...
just strip approximately 1/2'' of the coating off each wire... AT THIS POINT, PUT THE SHRINK WRAP ON THE WIRES or you will have to re-solder them... now, twist the red and black wire together, then twist the blue and black wire together... next go ahead and solder the wires together, after your done, take your cutters and cut off the excess wire so your left with a straight piece of wire

at this point, go ahead and install it... make sure to top off the radiator with antifreeze... bring it up to temp and make sure it not only turns on but it blowing the correct way... it should suck the air threw the radiator and give you more efficient cooling...

96' CE1 Lx - Wags

is your friend, try it

[img][/img]
[youtube ][ /youtube]

Old 08-14-2009, 07:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
CR-Vtakin

Rep Power: 50 Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

good write up, I think I should probably do this on my civic. I would need an integra fan shroud though as my civic has an integra radiator in it.

1996 Acura Integra LS Sedan

Laying Claim To My Own Thread:http://www.d-series.org/forums//showthread.php?t=17947

1996 Integra Project Car:http://www.d-series.org/forums/showcase/72073-1996-integra-ls-sedan-pics-1-21-14-jdm-front-5-lug-auto-manual.html
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2009, 08:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
The House that Trevor Built.

Rep Power: 50 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

good write up. not quite as "slim" as before but i bet it pulls air much more evenly!

Playin Sega and Slammin Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer
Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
Dyno tuning/welding/fabrication/installations
Evolution Auto Performance - 604.460.7969
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2009, 10:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danz View Post
good write up. not quite as "slim" as before but i bet it pulls air much more evenly!
ya, i realize it kinda takes away from the "slim" part of it, but really it only ad's about 1.5'' to it and the benefit out weighs the bad... :td:

96' CE1 Lx - Wags

is your friend, try it

[img][/img]
[youtube ][ /youtube]

Old 08-14-2009, 10:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....

sweet that looks killer im gonna try this but ill get a junkyard fan shroud to try first make it look super clean!
spelts-face is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2009, 10:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
BooM TastE IT

Rep Power: 25 Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

nice write up. :td:

My For Sale Thread
Onatop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2009, 12:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 6 eee-jay-ate is learning the way of the Deee-jay-ate is learning the way of the D

great work, rep for you
eee-jay-ate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2009, 01:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 10 vtec_bomber is a name known to allvtec_bomber is a name known to allvtec_bomber is a name known to allvtec_bomber is a name known to allvtec_bomber is a name known to allvtec_bomber is a name known to allvtec_bomber is a name known to allvtec_bomber is a name known to allvtec_bomber is a name known to allvtec_bomber is a name known to all

It wouldn't be a pretty sight if somebody's fingers get caught in it while the fan is on. I wonder why you didn't just flip it around.
vtec_bomber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2009, 06:20 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtec_bomber View Post
It wouldn't be a pretty sight if somebody's fingers get caught in it while the fan is on. I wonder why you didn't just flip it around.
you can grab the fan while its on with out any injury, i did it a few times before...

the reason its facing the way it is, is because it fits in the should very well like that...

96' CE1 Lx - Wags

is your friend, try it

[img][/img]
[youtube ][ /youtube]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification