advantages/disadvantages of performance chips? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction 7th Gen

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2005, 10:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
phuzion420

Default advantages/disadvantages of performance chips?

i heard that these chips can add up to 20 hp gains? true or not true?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2005, 10:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
gonzo

rotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcanorotory20 is hot as a volcano

Bullshit...
bullshit...
For plug and play chips no way..
if you are running something else besides that in an OBD1 car maybe..
it takes more than a chip..
and read it carefully
CAN ADD
UP TO
....dont waste your money
rotory20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2005, 11:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 11 mark7901 is da #1 stunnamark7901 is da #1 stunnamark7901 is da #1 stunnamark7901 is da #1 stunnamark7901 is da #1 stunnamark7901 is da #1 stunnamark7901 is da #1 stunna

Why do you say bullshit? Most ECU's are "de-tuned" from the factory. IOm not totally disagreing with you, but Im sure there are some gain to be made on a stock system, wither they be small or not.

EDIT: Most are BS, but if you where able to make one yourself and add it to a n OBDII system, I think you would see some gains.
mark7901 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2005, 12:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
GoNeIn60

yea some of them really tell you what it does, when you put it in the Intake air temp sensor its suppose to make the computer think that the air is colder outside so it will put more fuel out. I don't really believe its 20 hp worth but it may be a couple assuming that it works
Old 06-07-2005, 12:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
civiccrazy93

IMO i think that most of these chips may work but only as a temporary bomb shell.Sooner or later it'll all catch up with you.From disabling your o2 to just tricking your ecu is all garbage.In most cases ecu's die or you cause other damage to your car's brain.If you wanna increase timing curves or just make your vtec activate quicker,just do it the correct,expensive,but correct,way which is uberdata,emanage,vafc,and so on.There are a few ppl out there that do know what they are doing when programing chips and stuff,but I doubt that a 10$ chip or whateva the it is will really give you 20hp.Thats all folks.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 Synth is almost a somebodySynth is almost a somebodySynth is almost a somebodySynth is almost a somebody

I really really really hate to use this quote..but sadly it true the more I dump money into my car. You have to pay, to play.
Synth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2005, 02:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 11 SPEEDY666 is learning the way of the DSPEEDY666 is learning the way of the D

IMHO i dont think an aftermarket chips are worth wasting your time because even if you get one made for your ride you are limited to the range of that chip. with an aftermarket ecu you can continually adjust the ecu settings as you uprgrade your setup, bigger bank up front but cheaper than buying 5 different chips for your car
Old 06-07-2005, 08:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 11 Tobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to allTobias is a name known to all

Yeah,..so I just installed a O2 simulator and the s.o.b. works just fine. I'll let you know if this thing fries my ECU's brain. Other than that I had a friend (who is a honda tech) run O2 readouts after the install. Everything measures @ normal levels. Goodbye to CAT deficiency...well @ least the ECU thinks so. P.S. The exhaust manifold/CAT combo SUCKS!!!!
Tobias is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2005, 01:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

custom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussie

WARNING: do not use those ebay chips that claim 20hp gains...you WILL fuck your car. had a friend that used one, and it fucked the motor. he had to take the chip out and put it all back to stock, then had to hook up a computer before the motor ran right. all that thing will do is fuck your system by making it think the air is colder than it is, and therefore screwing with timing, and adding more fuel...all around a BAD idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanInFlipFlops View Post
There's two things in life you never want people to know about you...
1. You know how to work on cars.
2. You know how to work on computers.

You my friend are cursed with this info being out in the open.
^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
custom_junky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification