Honda D Series Forum banner

FlyinRyan's D16z6 Drag car build.

85K views 843 replies 120 participants last post by  turboprelude95 
#1 · (Edited)
FlyinRyan's D16z6 Drag car build. TUNED. #'s pg11

Figured I'd post some pics of my car, and a bit about my build. I've been on DSO for many years, just read more than anything. SO finally, here's my car. 1992 cx hatchback. :)

Here was the car back in 08, after getting in back together after it had been stolen and stripped in 07.

First turbo set-up.

I took the car apart in april 09 to get moving on an engine build i had been working on. And it's sat since. Slowly being built. BUT I have just about everything needed to get the car on the dyno at the first of the new year :)

Sooo, some specs.

Engine.
-GoldenEagle sleeved and o-ringed d16z6 block.
-Wiseco pistons and eagle rods
-Honda OEM bearings
-Bottom end assembled by Cortney Green
-Port and polished Cyl head
-Crower springs and retainers.
-Comp 59300 cam
-ARP head studs
-OEM honda head gasket.
-GoldenEagle intake mani
-GE Fuel rail
-Omni Power 70mm TB
-FuelLab FPR
-Intank walbro255
-Inline Bosch 044
-Bosch/ID 1000cc injectors
-Hasport solid mounts.
-T1 racedevelopment catch can.
-PWR Radiator
-MSD Digital 6plus, HVC II coil.

Transmission.
-86-89 integra CG cable trans.
-Mounts built by me.
-Tilton flow control valve.
-Clutch masters fx500, DD sintered iron disc.
-DSS 3.9 axles.

Turbo Sh*t.
-AFI Turbo forward facing turbo mani
-Precision 6262sp
-Tial MVR
-Tial 50mm BOV
-Garrett 800hp IC core, end tanks fabbed by me.
-3'' IC piping fabbed by me.
-Custom Down pipe built by me. (haha)

Suspension.
-Omni Power drag coilovers.
-skunk2 front camber kit
-ETD racing traction bars

I know i'm forgetting a bunch of stuff. Now some more pics.

See less See more
#457 ·
^^ exactly. Which is why I'm switching to 4th gear :p Hahaha

Naa, its just like theidealone said. Heats em up quicker spinning em faster.

#461 ·
Yep. And removing the 1-2 syncro. So I guess that means when I do finally swap to the b trans, I'll be needing a trailer to get to the track :( no more highway driving

#465 ·
I haven't ever done it before, but it's a trick the sfwd guys used to do back when they ran stock transmissions. The guy that tuned my car is going to show me how to do it. But if you have ever felt the difference in a syncro trans and a dog box, its quite a bit different. doing whatever it is he is going to do just helps out the 1-2 shift.

Speaking of 1-2 shifts...... Went out bracket racing friday night. Had a lot of fun, got #1 qualifier with a .006 light. Made it all the way to the finals, and the 1-2 shift did me dirty...

This was only on 11psi. So not crazy power. But i found the culprit....

The bolt that i had on the clutch cable arm had a nut on the back side, well the nut is no longer there. The first pic shows the angle the bolt SHOULD be at.

This is how the bolt sat..

Meaning the clutch wasnt disengaging. So basically i did a 1-2 WOT shift with out the clutch. oops haha. Trans still works enough that i drove the car 30miles back home, and then to cars and coffee the next morning. Just skipped 2nd gear :p

moar trophy action.

Have to do something about this though....

#466 ·
man that sucks about the 2nd gear.....

#467 ·
Nice light man! And second gear looks BEAUTIFUL! LOL. Id love to see what you can do to remove the synchros. Or how it will shift without them. Sounds interesting.

Yea, my buddy has faceplates. I drove his car a couple of weeks ago. Just putsing around the pits. The feel scares me. LOL. Crunch, clank, crunch!! :D

As far as the slicks, unless youre worried about balancing, I wouldnt worry about them moving that small amount. Mine do the same thing. And I cant bring myself to drill into my Bogarts. So Im leaving it. Its only like .25" every pass.

#468 ·
HAhaha i know right. WTF is the JB weld, i dug out all the teeth, lets get this b!tch back together :p I'll take photos of the install and all that fun as it happens.

Haha my buddy street drives his integra once in a while with a liberty dog box, that shit is so sketchy!

Na i'm not too worried. I just dont like that it moves that much in one pass on low boost. Now i'll try it out on race gas and see how far it moves. But i'm with danz, no thanks on drilling a cast wheel lol.

#469 ·
Got another trans. Swapped the gear stacks to mine, and took her out on pump gas again.

2nd place again haha. Got a bit anxious, went -.015 red. But i was dialed 11.84 and she was dialed 16.18. So i had quite the wait. So since i went red, i just ran it out. Went 11.74@118. But god damnit, she broke out. So all i needed was a green light, and get on the brakes when i caught her. oh well.

I got some shitty news about running race gas. There has been a ton of drama at our track involving imports and people being drama queens. so thanks to them, i have notified that if i go back and run faster then 11.49 or 135mph without a cage i will be thrown from the track and cannot return.

I REALLY want to cage it. But i have been running the bracket racing class and i am curently only a few points away from the #1 spot with only a few races left. I dont want to miss out on points. so i am going to see what i can figure out, so i can try and get it done and race. Then have some real fun. Regardless, i plan to have it caged before December. Vegas here we come.

Reactions: Darin T
#474 ·
Yea, 10 points are retarded until they catch on that youre trapping over 135... Then you gotta add onto the 5 point. Now THATS retarded.

And screw going slow because you dont wanna put a cage in. LOL. Turn it up!

#473 ·
I dig the cut out front fender. Good job mang. Looks like a bomber of a hatch.

#475 ·
i hate my cars 10 point is such a PITA to get in and out. then you gotta deal with harnesses and window nets, sfi spec padding, etc

kinda wish i could go back to running 11's in a street car and driving to the track and back. it was more fun. and cheaper.

#476 ·
Really? I find its easier for my fat ass to get in and out with the cage. LOL. The pillar bar gives me something to grab onto instead of the steering wheel. And sliding over the door bar is MUCH better than sliding over the edge of the Kirkey seat that fits right up my ass. LOL. I still need to get a window net, hopefully a chute next year, and cert'd.

But I do agree. I miss having an 11.9 car that I could rail around on the street. So I think Im gonna make the coupe a 12 second car down the road, so I can have both! :D

#478 ·
Went out again last night..

Won last night. Guess third times a charm haha. Car is getting quicker. The change up in suspension is really starting to show on the time slips. It went from consistent 1.80-82 60fts, to 1.70-72. And brought the 330's down in to the 4.8-9 ish range. I'll take some pics of the slips to show the improvements.

#482 ·
sounds like you're really gettin it dialed in quite nicely now. keep it up. cant wait to see what this thing really has in it!

#484 ·
This bracket racing stuff really is fun. I didn't think I'd get this into it lol. Oooh trust me, I'm right there with you

im jealous of all the track time. way to go man
Haha, don't be too jealous. I haven't had the chance to have much fun on race fuel. Which really bums me out. Soon enough though ;) thanks!.

Damn you guys and your peer pressure....... I've been exchanging email with Tom h. From s&w racecars......... ;) oh boy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.