Honda D Series Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rust in the inner rear fender well

8K views 44 replies 10 participants last post by  T-MacK 
#1 ·
I just got this 94 hatchback the other day. Cleaned it pretty good. I noticed rust on the rear fender well. Kinda pissed me off but whatever im stuck with it.

My question would be... what will be the steps to take care of this or in a ballpark fgure how much would it cost to take it to a body shop and let them go crazy with it...

thanks

#2 ·
take some pictures

you might be able to get away with grinding it smooth, and primering it, then coating it to prevent future rust.

All my hodnas had this, they do sell patch panels if its too far gone.

but pictures will give me a better idea on how I can help

#4 ·
ha ha just think if you lived in pa or worse in canada with t-mack winter takes a hugh toll ive never owned a honda that didnt have rusty quarters, just think of it as weight reduction. but in all seriousness it does suck and they do make quarter repair panels but for a body shopt to repair it depending on how bad it is probably from 500 to 2000 or more. i am in the process of doing quarters on my hatch

#20 ·
Its called rust check or krown once a year.

I have an original EH that is rust free and looks brand new underneath.

I all so don't winter drive it and rust check my shit every year so even if I did it would be rust free.

Just because people live in Canada does'ent mean your Civic is a rust bucket!
If you take care of your ride and spend the money you'll be fine.

This is some sort of urban legend in the States.

#8 ·
never had rusted quarters on my cars, even when i lived in PA, WV, MD, and NJ, and they were daily driven, parked outside either in the apartment parking lot or the barracks parking lot. Then again it all comes down to how well you take care of your car. If you have rust... your not doing enough maintenance, simple as that. Keep your car clean, wash it at least weekly during the winter making sure to rinse the undercarriage and fender wells throughly , get under it before and after winter to pressure wash all of the dirt and debris, and coat with a corrosion inhibitor. As long as you are anal about how clean your car is, you will never have rust issues, even in the NE.

As far as how much it would cost to repair, it all depends on how bad the area is, just remember most body shops charge on average of $100/hr to work on your car, plus parts & supplies.

Personaly i would remove all traces of rust, if it penetrates and is less than a dime i would weld it shut, glaze, prime, paint, if it is any larger than that, you are looking at doing a patch panel.

#11 ·
on a good note, you have rust. why? someone didn't fill it full of bondo and paint over it! Seen it alot before! lol. it would be nice if everyone got toghether on this and made a list of sites/manufacturer's who make 1/4 panels and such for our civics. my crx has rusty fenders but ill end up fabricating my own this winter. kinda cause of the price, kinda cause i can do it myself but, mostly I haven't had much luck finding new metal tho.
If you can get the metal as far as a shop welding it in and painting id figure on 3-500 bucks for the rear fenders probly. good luck

#12 ·
honestly i dont know where to source the panels from, but usualy i will goto the junkyards and cut out a part of a panel with an angle grinder.

and if i cant find the appropriate panel ill custom fab up one. (sheet metal fabricator for 8 years, aviation)

#14 ·
On another note. I'm sure I'm not the only person who has rust on the rear fender of an eg civic. Question is guys what did you do to your hatch to fix the cancer? Did you refab it yourself or did you take it to a body shop?

If you did it yourself where did you purchase your metal?

#16 ·
You should have some options here this way. local hardware type stores usually sell sheet metal of some sort. How I go about it. with your fender intact cut a piece to size for the arch, fairly exact. after that cut the whole crap right out. weld the arch in. then youll have to bend and contour possibly a few pieces to fill the void. weld, grind, etc. after quite abit of hard work youll have fresh metal. spot fill if nessecary and prime it. If thats out of your range, take it to a body shop. either way if you can find a weld in panel that will save you alot of time and $$, im still inerested in who makes these? if anyone!

#18 ·
when i bought my coupe my hole driver side quarter panel was rotted haha..just went to a local junk yard and cut out a quarter for dirt cheap and took it to a body shop cuz i didnt feel like messing with it cuz i knew the out side was bad and i didnt wanna see what behind it lurked haha..got the hole quarter put on for 350 bucks and primerd over and i patched the other side myself..if its just bubbled alittle you can just take a paint grinder to it and clean the rust up and lay some duraglass on it, sand that down..lay a thin coat of body filler on it..sand so u have ur body line, wet sand if u want and then sealer,surfacer, base, clear..(might have the sealer and surfacer mixed up vise versa)..its fun when u live in PA n the snow comes and salt on the roads ha..thats y i invested in a truck so i could park the coupe lol

#19 ·
i had the bubbles and went this route on the cheap and its holding

sanded through the paint and rust to bare metal, used a rust converter, sanded, did it again, sealer/primered it, painted, wet sanded, cleared, held well enough til i can get out of PA, then i'll invest in a decent full repaint.

#28 ·
Plus what you have no life. You like to follow me. Do you want an autograph? are you my biggest fan cause man its weird how you chase me down as much as you can. Mr e-thug over here on a computer talking smack with every post i make. Go follow your cat watch him take a shit or something you pathetic attempt of a human being.

#43 ·
put your fucking purse away and act like a fucking adult

#44 ·
salt eats it up, letting it sit in a damp area like some garages can give some bubles after some time and theres a bees wax type shit u can spray under the quarters and inside..take the inside panels out beside the seat n shit and u can get in there and spray..the heating vents in the back to dont help..i took them out and patched over them with metal after i got the panel on and patched the passenger side up..no rust yet..but dont forget its a honda haha..the damp from having the heat on lets moisture back in there n settles in there..fuck it just rino line the hole car!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.