Honda D Series Forum banner

JDM B18C + S80 Oil Change - which type oil?

20K views 31 replies 10 participants last post by  Mariozas 
#1 ·
Hi all, going to change oil in the engine this week and clutch replacement is on its way so gearbox oil is about to be changed too.

Im in Ireland, which oil spec should I go for? Fully syntec, semi syntec and what thickness for the engine? 0-30 or which else?
What type/thickness oil for the gear box and how many liters does it take?

Engine has genuine 200k kms on it but runs very very smooth and powerful, so its just like fresh one to me..

Im not going to race my car so often and wont beat redline so often, but just 90% for daily driving.

What would you guys recommend?

BR

#4 ·
10w30 no synthetic, just old dinosaur oil.

Your still gonna need two and a part liters of oil, Follow normal filling procedure and when it is full the fill plugs threads on level ground, it is full.

Your owners manual will list the metric and US standards of fill.

#16 ·
I put a built motor in my civic that cost damn near 6k. I put advance auto 10w30 $2.69 qt oil in my car for 8k miles.

If you change your oil when you are suppose to, you shouldn't have problems from brand to brand... More preference than anything these days.

Also, listen to Trans. He knows his shit. :yes:

#8 · (Edited)
lol

word of advice
when the transmission king transzex of hondas tells you something nicely
listen

consider the scenario
you DONT know what to put in your transmission for oil
you POST on the internet asking what to put in
then you DECIDE you know whats best anyway?

ok

you can buy as expensive 10w30 as you want to for your transmission
there are many brands
he is recommending standard oil because honda recommends it...its also proven to work good

pennzoil syncromesh is also good in my opinion
honda mtf used to be good, but i heard they changed the formula so i dont know anymore

#14 ·
ok ,ok my bad.

How am I suppose to know what should I get for my transmission when honda doesnt explain what sort of oil is that "Genuine Honda MTF"?
So I just asked here. Taking my words back if he's as good, cause I dont know as much tech-spec about hondas as he does, and even if I didnt knew what I was speaking about I'd probably answer the same to some PEUGEOT user dammit. Sorry my bad

#22 ·
I've read trough d-series posts about transmission fluids and found 10w-30 to be the most popular and always itself proving solution, unless if car is being driven hard from time to time 10w-40 should be used... I dont know to be honest what to do with this... 10w-30 is near to impossible to get, and 10w-40 I must have seen somewhere...

definatelly not going for Honda Fluid just to save my money...

Any differences for gearbox with LSD in a matter of fluid spec?

#27 · (Edited)
well it is.. true... but Im not really drinking person... got to get up in another 5hours and 45mins and head to work so just killing myself here looking for some answers...

We already had an amazing day out today so I've already enjoyed... :D

#31 ·
no need to drain that long. since your new to the car...open the valve cover and check for gunk. if you find gunk and wanna clean all that shit out...look up the diesel cleaning trick. i run penzoil 10w-30 and that shit rocks

#32 ·
well the reason I left it its just because couldnt stay awake any longer, it was like 2am... so left it open drain to dry :D

I know, I will be doing valve lash clearance over on sunday because valves are ticking, but very unnoticably... but anyway, will see how dirty is valvetrain when will take vc off... the only place I could find penzoil mineral oil was ebay and that shit costs like ~20bucks per liter delivered, so I dont know where else should I go... dam that hurts

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.