Honda D Series Forum banner

How to remove a motor with out an engine hoist.

63K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  please hop off 
#1 ·
ok i have searched every where for something like this, but can find it any where.

any one got a DIY or ghetto style way of removing a motor? i dont have a hoist or crane. help please

#2 ·
1. Jack up the car as high as you can.
2. Put jack stands under the the proper lift points.
3. Disconnect all hoses, wires, speedo cable (if equipped) and clutch cable (or hydro line depending on application)
4. Disconnect shift linkage.
5. Put a nice flat piece of wood on jack and place jack under oil pan.
6. Raise jack until you can get the weight of the motor off the mounts.
7. Unbolt mounts.
8. Slowly lower motor checking to make sure everything as been disconnected.
9. Drag motor from under car scratching the ever living hell out of the oil pan in the process.
10. Enjoy cold one while you think about going to harbor freight to get a hoist cause you realize how much of a bitch it is to pull and install motors without it.

Reactions: Aragorn
#6 ·
i've done it :)

remove head and intake mani out the top. unbolt the tranny (dont forget to remove the starter first :) ) dont forget to suport the tranny pull that out. then support the motor unbolt and pull it out....head is like 20-30 lbs, tranny maybe 35-50lbs and the block is only like 35-50lbs dont forget to drain it first...

or pull the head, jack the car up as high as possible place jack stands under the side jack points on there highest setting. place a board inbetween the jack and oil pan to help disapate the weight over the hole pan and not the 2" round jack point. lift enought to take the weight off the mounts, unbolt. lower jack with motr on it. slide motor out(you may have to remove your front bumper for extra clearance coming out the front w/ the motor

or go to harbor freight engine hoist is like $100 and you have it the rest of your life

#7 ·
I've never used a hoist to swap or remove major components from any of my or any other's cars in my garage. Just jack up the front of the car as high as you can and then drop the parts and slide out from under it. If you are doing this as a 1-person job like I've done many a time, remove the head first, then remove the trans, then drop the block...purely for the weight-factor. Unless you think you can handle the long block together.

#8 ·
Chain fall and a tree?I dont have a hoist(cherry picker) in my garage.I use a chain fall of the rafters.Done it this way since i was 15 pulling big blocks out of ford trucks under the oak tree.I had to build a frame out of 4x4's once to pull an engine out of an omni.(When i was down and out living in a trailer park).I like to be able to move every thing slowly without gravity binding on shit.Plus you gotta have something for the install.Unless you are just pulling not replacing?
Chain falls or come alongs are cheap from junkor freight.Fit in the corner and can get you unstuck too.:)(back in the mud truck days).
Dropping it under the car and dragging it out is a pain in the ass if you ask me.I tried it.Now try that it in reverse.Ya have fun with that.Getting the trans and engine to line up to bolt together without binding.Not going to happen easy at all.I have problems sometimes with the engine on the chain fall and a floor jack under the trans with a trans plate on it.

#9 ·
^^^ lol. I was gonna say park by a tree sling chain over the biggest branch and get 4 friends to pull but thats very ******* and I've seen it go very wrong. Me and 4 guys dropped a 454 on the front of a chevelle all because the guy didnt wanna drive to my garage where I have an electric hoist.

#11 ·
It was on sale in Import Tuner for $100 with the coupon. :bigok:

#13 · (Edited)
forget all that nonesense.. Hoists are to make my life eaiser... that and a lift:)

Reactions: NeonPinHead
#15 ·
Pics or it didn't happen..

#18 ·
lol, ok pics of the frame I had to replace on it too? or the motor hanging on the hoist? lol I just finished swapping everything over from the fucked up frame to the new one, took me all day. on monday I get to put the motor/tranny/drive shaft back on, then the cab and bed. the job has 120hrs on it and so far I'm at around 20 I've spent, should get some good commishion on it.

#17 ·
Hey don't knock a cherry picker.. if you got room to store a quality one they are nice.

#19 ·
I'll say, that'll be a good chunk of change... u gotta include pics of the hoist too so this conv can be relevant to the thread.. lol

#23 ·
ok well i found a hoist. so just going to use that. coz i need to pull the motor and ift a new one. so taking it out in bit and bobs is not an option.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.