Honda D Series Forum banner

May be removing my turbo...PICS/56no

13K views 143 replies 48 participants last post by  cervan 
#1 ·
(I just spent about 15minutes writing this all out & I erased it..:( )

I've been having many problems with the setup...
I know this is a stupid thread but its been on my mind for the past couple of weeks..& I thought I would share it with the d-series peeps...anyways,
the problems arent the worst in the world...but it gives me thoughts..

problems:
cracked manifold/rewelded...cracked again
(the sound is unreal!...doesn't sound healthy)

oil feed line broke the 1st 1000miles & then the 2..I'm yet to see the third
(both times caused me to break down for 15-30minutes while arguing with my girl)

oil return is touching the downpipe which doesn't look good
(I can about put my finger through the return)

the car hops somtimes...when I'm trying to drive normal...which when I floor it for about 10 seconds the car kicks in boost automatically causing the car to jerk & spilling drink or somthing on my girl-happened the past 2-4 times...
isn't very touching while driving to the store with your girl & your kid....

the charge pipe created a dent popping up on my hood

I use about 15$ every 2 days in gas..for about 10 miles a day...I don't even really get on it much & I try to drive normal.(but I do boost alot & I do have fun)

(--all of these problems are my fault...from cheaping out..not saying none of these parts are junk..but for me they haven't worked very well...& theres many more problems I could name...)

I've just had thoughts cross my mind because somtimes I want my car running normal....but I love boost til death & its hard to take the stuff off,.
maybe nitrous?/ or N/A?..i dunno..or maybe rebuild the turbo setup...but its gonna take more then what it looks like...
(I may need practicly everything! again...)

heres some pics & a short vid:

(^current)

(^cracked under every runner)

See less See more
#7 ·
x2. I'd also check the piping to make sure it has the humps at the end to help hold the couplers in place.

#9 ·
id say take it off and redo certain things, get an hf manifold or a cast ebay manifold and switch the turbo the other way. run a basemapped pm6. if you can weld then you are good enough to solder in the 28pin zif socket and do your ecu yourself believe me. you should be golden after that. ive learned my lesson with shoddy oil returns and ebay manifolds.

#10 ·
you know I thought of that.....but really I need:

oil feed line
oil return line
manifold
downpipe
research/learn the ecu chipped route.

which all requires me to remove the turbo setup & weld the header back to the exhaust & coming back & doing it all over again....
& I had thoughts of just piecing what I have left of the kit & going in another direction.....still not sure but opinons are always helpful

btw,thats the turbo I bought from you & its golden

#13 ·
i personally dont know y alot people cheap out on stuff. if it's cheap for a reason look how many feed lines u have buy with that u proboly would of buy a good one that manifold is just gonna brake over and over again
keep that kit i saw ur video who was recording shakes too much LOL

#18 ·
Just because it's name brand doesn't mean it will be ok. I have had problems with my stealthmode kit and oil restrictor.

And personally I don't know why you would post such a stupid fucking statement. A lot of people hate on ebay shit just because everyone else does it. I know more than a couple people running ebay "57 trim" turbos making good reliable power off of them. Does ebay shit always work? Perhaps not but maybe the OP got a good deal on it. I'm running an ssauto mani too because it was FREE. I believe the previous owner had several thousand miles on it; he had upgraded and was nice enough to give me the mani. If it breaks then it's fine with me...it served it's purpose. If it doesn't then when I upgrade it will be "passed on" to someone trying to put together their own turbo set-up.

I agree with ditching the FMU and if the mani is cracking then toss it. Other than that just get the kinks worked out. I know it can be frustrating. My car has been off of the road more than on since I boosted it but that's mainly because I have NO time to fix the things that need to be fixed.

#14 ·
its funny when one has the answers to all the questions yet still ask but its all good but what i can say is that yr problem is minor compare to others u need to do take the crap out get some stuff from someone here that would sure love to help start with that manifold u can weild thatshit all u like and u will get the same results by the look of things i can c the piping resting on the bonnett by the worn out heat wrap that probally makes a hell of a noise while driving try changing that radiator get a alluminum one which would give u more room to work with .i would hate to b driving and wondering if my engine or parts thereof will drop of ....if u going to do it do it right .....no disrespect intended

#15 · (Edited)
its funny when one has the answers to all the questions yet still ask but its all good
very true!

I may be taking it off today....i need sleep

to fix the charge pipe...i was thinking of the switch the turbo thing...but I believe the outlet on the turbo was aiming at the block....clocking it didn't help any on the cold side.

I thought about magically making a manifold....seriously
using the t3 flange,wastegate flange w/pipe & the flange on the manifold itself & making my own pipes.

then I would need to stretch the downpipe....(from the turbo switched...if possible) making the downpipe go straight down,instead of twisting...whereas my return line was hitting the downpipe....its confusing but I understand what I'm talking about...

...I'm still tired.

#17 ·
I would just start over fresh.

New manifold, new charge piping, new downpipe,new oil feed,better managment.Take your time and plan out what you want to do and whats the best way to do it.

#21 ·
oh i also wanted to add, DO NOT drive the car with the charge pipes disconnected. you will overspool your turbo and it'll end up bleeding oil through its seals.

best of luck!
-Luke

#23 ·
How are you guys messing up oil lines?

Not trying to be an asshole,serious question.I have never got my oil feed source off the back of the block,and on my new built motor I am so if there is something I should know about,I want to know.

#26 ·
well i guessed on most of my sizes, rather then looking at my actual lines. so i had to add adaptor fittings. those are what cracked, so i ditched them adn did it right. in other words, the same fitting size all the way from the tee to the turbo (-3 an w/ restrictor).

#27 ·
Oh okay that makes sense.

Im pretty sure I have the right block fitting 1/8th bspt

#28 ·
i was talking about the fitting to the turbo. i have not broken the adaptor tee fitting on the back. my oil pressure fittings (oem and the one for my guage) is mounted to the firewall. <- imho, everyone should do this.

the above AN fittings broke or cracked on me. i don't have a current photo of my feed line, but just remove all the AN fittings. I just tapped that plate for my oil pressure reducer. so other then the actual plate on the turbo (which is aluminum) and the tee in the block (brass), its an all steel feed line set-up.

#29 ·
So yeah, CAST exhuast mani would be ya best bet like I have, fuck those sexy lookin tubular pipes, they look good...but ugh...break to shit...except maybe those $800 ones, fuck those to...lol and get stainless braided lines and never worry again...oil restrictor is found here its what i have, ive never have any problems with ANYTHING on my car breaking/leaking. its a lil pricey Kinda for what these parts are...but they WORK !! http://www.function-7.com/products.html

edit: remember, when putting these parts on,(oil restrictor) its best to have them hot/warm...Ive seen many people snap these parts installing them/ removing them when they are freezing cold, and they snap like glass.

#31 ·
yeah they make good shit. i dont have any problems with anything I have fromthem. I also see people having problems with their oil restrictors and shit....I dunno why they just dont buy one of those and be done with it. lol

#32 ·
My stealthmode restrictor shat out on me so I ordered a non-adjustable restrictor from mcmaster-carr (again). I think I may have actually ordered the right ends this time.

#34 ·
Yeah, I don't know if I got a crappy restrictor or not but that thing fucking sucked. It never seated correctly and was leaking at the flange. Then it started leaking at the "lever".

#35 ·
haha, damn...thats why i like the ones at funtion7. no lever or adjusting, they are predrilled perfect before they get to you. so you just screw onto end of line, and bolt to turbo with the gasket and no leaks at all !!!

#41 ·
Randy no offense dude but I wouldn't exactly call that "rewelded".

Reactions: dfanatic
#42 ·
i can see now, randy, why your having such an issue..... its too getto of a turbo kit :p. wow, you really need to ask for help next time you do one. that or spend about five times longer searching and reviewing other builds. cause that one is straight junk now. i would not bother trying to save anything besides the turbo and FMIC. and even then, i would be looking to start brand new.

good luck bro.

sure it is bro., if you let a little kid do it with his eyes closed :D.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.